Five Methods:Help Making a Girl LaughDevelop Your Humorous SelfFocus Your Attention on the GirlPrompt LaughterGet the Balance Right
A good sense of humor is a highly useful tool that is often overlooked, particularly in the dating realm. A girl who finds you funny is far more likely to fall for all your charms! In addition to leveling the ground between both of you, using humor will relieve the nervous tension of first date jitters, negate worries about “not being or looking good enough,” and draw the two of you closer together.
Method 1 of 4: Develop Your Humorous Self
Keep a positive outlook. Having a positive nature goes hand in hand with a good sense of humor. Being a happy and positive person to be around will win her over every time. If you’re able to be a positive source of morale boosting when she’s feeling down, she will naturally gravitate towards you.
- Trying to find the positive take in even negative situations will ensure that you come across as easygoing, considerate, and kind, all traits a girl can easily connect with.
- Think about the people who send out positive vibes. If you’re not already competent with setting people at their ease, what do these guys do that you can put into action too?
- Be playful. Being funny includes being playful, sometimes teasing, and always looking for the fun angle. The serious stuff can wait for serious times.
- If you’re feeling temporarily down or melancholy, keep this to yourself or beg off seeing her until you’re feeling more upbeat. A lasting impression of you being down is not a good start to a relationship!
Learn how to be funny. Does humor come naturally to you? Do you know how to make other people laugh (with you, not at you)? If not, it’s time to find your inner funny bone, and the easiest place to start is to know what makes you laugh. Think of the kinds of things you think are funny, and try those out for yourself.
- Don’t “try” to be funny—that never works. Instead, try to see the humor in things, and use that instead. When you do that, you begin to be genuinely funny, which will make it easier for your girlfriend to laugh. She’ll recognize your sincerity and your ability to see the world as a joyful and happy place. This is a major turn on!
Be natural. Being funny is innate, provided you trust your own sense of humor to shine through. Here are some helpful hints to improve your funny side:
- Use your body language to express humor. Your facial expressions, body position, movements, and tone of voice can all impact how funny you seem. Don’t be shy at making good use of your physical abilities to convey the funnier side of things, from pulling faces to funny walks! Think of actors such as Jim Carey or Ben Stiller, or comedy teams like Monty Python.
- Practice being funny. See the world with a humorous outlook and regularly try to transform everyday situations into funny anecdotes in your mind. The more that you practice this, the easier it gets and it will become second nature for you to respond in this way under pressure
- Situational humor is ultimately easier and more likely to work for you than memorizing reams of jokes made up by other people.
- Expect a tough room now and then. Even professional comedians have off nights, or tough rooms that just won’t laugh at even the best material. Be prepared to have a joke bring nothing but a grimace to her face now and then—that’s part and parcel of being humorous. Laugh it off, and make fun of your joke delivery system failing at launch or some other humorously self-deprecating approach. Do not say “I suck at telling jokes.” That might be true, but it’s not funny. She will agree, and think to herself, “He’s boring me now.”
Placing yourself at the center of humorous anecdotes. Be careful not to come across as a lame duck with serious low self-esteem issues, or as a perpetual clown. Do this by focusing on how your good qualities have pulled you through some challenging or embarrassing situations where other less humorous people might have responded in a frustrated, unforgiving, or annoyed way.
- Show yourself as a fun-loving guy who trips up now and then but readily dusts off the dirt and keeps on trying until you get to where you’re headed. Being able to laugh at yourself and your own shortcomings will demonstrate to a girl that you’re a down-to-earth kind of guy, able to handle criticism, and that you don’t give up easily. In addition, if she’s certain you’re able to poke fun at yourself, it’ll be easier to poke fun at her sweet little foibles when you’re more familiar with one another without her seeing this as an attack on herself.
Method 2 of 4: Focus Your Attention on the Girl
Respect her. Respecting a girl’s individuality and unique qualities is an essential part of earning her trust. With trust comes the ease of enjoying one another’s company, making it easier to encourage her to laugh. Every girl is different and as such, different things will make her laugh from other girls. For you, this means accepting that what might have worked for one girl won’t necessarily work with another girl. Spend time learning what works best in her case.
- If it turns out that she doesn’t seem to find anything funny, that’s a good sign that you two may not be compatible. It could also mean that she’s going through a rough patch, and doesn’t find much of anything happy. See how she reacts around other people. If she laughs at their jokes, but doesn’t find yours very humorous, move along.
Listen to her. Listening is an important part of creating humor. Good comedians observe everyone and everything around them to see what makes people tick; they take their observations and reflect them back at their audience by enlarging the funnier side of life’s trials or pointing out things in a light that others might not have noticed the funny side of before.
- By listening carefully, you’ll learn what she really cares about, thinks about, and believes in, all important observations for you to know what makes her laugh. Good listening will give you material to have fun with as well as to keep the wheels of conversation turning. Just make sure that whatever you learn about her and try to make funny is not something “sacred” to her, or you’ll risk offending her.
Laugh with her. Laughter is infectious, so this part won’t be hard to do. Laughing with her will raise your standing in her eyes. If you find her funny, and you’re engaged with her jokes, happiness, and laughing, it will show her that you’re special and care enough to fall into her rhythm and sense of humor. Just like you want her to appreciate your sense of humor, she instinctively likes it when you find her sense of humor funny.
- Mimic her style of humor. If it’s risqué, for example, use risqué humor yourself. Do this as much as you and still keep it natural. If your humor is naturally sunny and gentle, adopting a dark, sarcastic style will come across as forced.
- Naturally, only follow her lead once you’re absolutely sure of her style of humor—be careful to forgive nervous silliness on her behalf.
- Find out her favorite comedians, funny movies, or sitcoms. Watch them with her and laugh together. You’ll be able to explore your favorites too once she’s confident enough that you’re a broadly humorous guy.
- Once you know her particular likes in the area of comedy, try quoting lines from a show, or relating scenes that are particularly funny. This shows her that you’re willing to enjoy her humor, which makes you very attractive!
Method 3 of 4: Prompt Laughter
Practice one-liners. Not quite a cheat code, but one-liners can be a good beginner’s way of finding the right words for the right moment. One-liners can help bring about a laugh, or at least, a happy smile when needed; just don’t confuse witty one-liners with lame pick-up lines, and never over-use these or you’ll sound like that pathetic character in the movie nobody likes. There are many one-liners you can find with a quick search on the internet, but here’s a small sample of one-liners showing how you might use them:
- Never frown, you never know who might be noticing your smile. If she’s feeling a little blue, this can be a caring but fun pick-me-up that shows you love her wonderful smile.
- When you get to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on. (Franklin D. Roosevelt) If she’s a little annoyed about something that’s happening in her life, this can be a way of showing you care and a way to encourage a gritty laugh.
- The shinbone is a device for finding furniture in a dark room. Trying to make her laugh if she hurts herself, or to deflect your own pain if you hurt yourself.
- I used to be indecisive. Now I’m not sure. For those times when you can’t make up your mind or if she’s dithering!
Be silly. There are some truly silly things you can do to make her laugh. Naturally, all of the following are highly dependent on how well you know this girl and whether or not she appreciates “silly”; and remember that the joke’s best when you’re able to laugh at yourself:
- Paw her like a cat and meow. Ask to be groomed.
- Make silly faces. Go to a photo booth together, pull very silly faces and take the photos; this is guaranteed to start some laughs when you check out the wacky results!
- Give deadpan, teasing responses to silly questions. For example, if she says “Do you date a lot?”, respond in a cocky tone with something like: “Not usually, normally I spend all my time on Second Life pretending I have a life, can’t you tell? (Insert genuine grin)”. Be sure to smile genuinely when delivering such a cocky response, and be aware that this sort of retort can fall flat if she thinks you’re making fun of her—or if she spends all her time on Second Life pretending to have a life!
- Act dumb. Give her a really blank look in response to something she’s asked or said, as if you don’t know the answer and it’s causing you great confusion while you try to “get it”. Only keep this up as long it takes to be funny—it’s not something to be overdone, or she’ll begin to think you really are dumb.
- Do impersonations of funny performances from comedians like John Cleese, Rowan Atkinson, or Charlie Chaplin; or impersonate people both of you know, if that’s safe ground. Mimic their voices, facial expressions, movements, or even lines.
- Tell her to dare you to do something really silly, then do it (as long as it’s not illegal or dangerous, of course).
- Flirt while being silly.
Tickle her. If you know her well enough, try a tickle! Tickling is an amazing way to break down both laughter and physical barriers. It’s hard not to laugh when you’re being tickled… The only qualifications on this is that she must be someone who doesn’t mind being tickled. It’s hardly going to win you a prize if she can’t stand being tickled and you won’t stop. Try this (and never stop smiling):
- Ask her if her feet are ticklish.
- Whatever her answer, ask if you can test this out.
- If she lets you, remove her footwear and start tickling her feet.
- Aim higher—tickle the sides of her tummy or her neck, and see how she reacts! Provided she’s laughing and happy about it, all is good. Stop at any sign she isn’t enjoying the tickle, and do give her the implicit opportunity to tickle you right back.
Do fun and adventurous things together. Fun activities that have a thrill or an exciting edge are good for invoking laughs. It’s up to you what might work best but some ideas include going for a ride on a cycle, scooter, or motor cycle together; taking a helicopter tour of the city; water sliding; visiting a local theme park (dodgem cars are great!); chasing waves at the beach; or maybe even taking a bungee jump together if you’re game (the laughter will follow!). If it’s novel and exciting, it’s bound to make her laugh.
Find funny material to keep her laughing when you’re not around. Send her emails or text messages that are funny and cute at the same time. Many of the following suggestions can serve to make her laugh and can be great topics of conversation when you meet up again too:
- Find a website that specializes in cute, funny pictures of soft, furry animals doing funny things, such as kittens sitting in a shoe, pigs in boots, baby pandas, a kitten being friends with a dog, or a pony eating an ice cream, etc. Send her some of the photos to make her laugh.
- Send her funny jokes about things you know will make her laugh. Either do a focused search for jokes online, or send on any jokes you’ve been sent that you found funny and think she will too—the beauty of this latter method is that she’ll feel like “one of the boys” if she realizes she’s being sent material normally reserved for your male friends!
- Send her funny photos of yourself, from baby photos to now.
- Share the links with her to funny sites that you enjoy.
Method 4 of 4: Get the Balance Right
Don’t leave the laughter hanging. The moment of transition between a good laugh and your continuing conversation is very important. You’ve just told a funny joke or related an hilarious incident, she’s laughed her head off…and now, silence. Silence will pull apart the good your humor has injected into the conversation. Always be ready with conversational follow-throughs.
- For example, if you’ve just cracked that joke and she’s laughed, at least be ready with a line like “And so, what are your thoughts about X,Y,Z” (leading on from the joke material perhaps), or, “What do you like about your job?”, or “How about we order something to eat, all that laughing’s got my appetite up” (followed by small talk), etc. Stay with the drift and keep in mind that there’s no need to come up with laugh after laugh. In fact, it can go from being fun to tedious if you overdo the joking. You’ll go from being seen as humorous to being a dolt, if you’re not careful.
Avoid jokes or bitter sarcasm that will plummet your standing in her mind. These are the jokes that border on insulting, are insulting, or are simply crude. Avoid telling any sexist, ethnic, or religious jokes. These are touchy topics at the best of times and are definitely not safe ground unless you know the girl incredibly well—even then, be careful!
- Don’t make fun of women, her friends, her family, or female matters. And definitely do not make jokes about weight, appearance, or dress size.
- Don’t make jokes about her. It doesn’t matter how funny you see them and how inoffensive you mean them to be—she will be likely to take offense and see the joke in its worst light. Equally, don’t laugh at her, under any circumstances, unless you don’t want to see her again.
- Steer clear of being mean about other people as a form of humor. Not only is humiliating people not funny, it will also have her wondering if you’ll turn on her next.
- When you don’t know her well, avoid the man jokes, including sarcastic, dark, or intimidating ones. When you know her better, you’ll be better prepared to know whether she’s alright with this sort of humor or not. In judging the suitability of your sarcastic or ironic remarks, keep in mind the comment by Agnes Repplier that “humor brings insight and tolerance; irony brings a deeper and less friendly understanding.” If in doubt, keep it friendly rather than darkly clever.
Relax—don’t burden her or yourself with the need to laugh. Laughter is spontaneous and wells up from humorous situations and trying to see the good side to all things. And equally, there are times when laughing isn’t appropriate or it just doesn’t feel right. Trust your instincts on when not to try and make the girl laugh, for example, when it’s a somber occasion, or when something very serious has happened.
- In wanting to “make a girl laugh”, the intent matters. It’s not possible to make anybody do anything against their will unless you’re coercing them. That’s hardly likely if you want laughter as the result! If she finds you funny, that’s fantastic, but if not, you might simply have to rethink your strategy and assess your limitations.
- Try not clown around too much—a little is funny, too much is embarrassing for both of you.
- Trying to be funny when you don’t feel funny, or when it just isn’t clicking for you, will cause you distress and can take away from the enjoyment of spending time with this girl. Don’t try too hard!
- Laughter will come by itself if both of you are relaxed and enjoying each other’s company.