How to set up Touch ID on your iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus
Follow these instructions to set up Touch ID or add a new fingerprint on your new iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus.
- Launch the Settings app, scroll down, and tap on Touch ID & Passcode.
- Enter the passcode when prompted. If you haven’t set up a passcode, then it will prompt you to set it up.
- Tap on the Add a Fingerprint… option.
- Place the finger or thumb which you want to add on the Home button. Lift and rest your finger on the Home button repeatedly. You will see that the fingerprint animation on the display fills up with red color as you progress. Move your finger slightly between scans. It should take less than a minute to set it up.
- After the entire fingerprint animation turns red, it will prompt you to adjust your grip to capture the edges of your fingerprint.
- Again place your finger on your Home button, this time however, lift and rest the edge of your finger on Home Button repeatedly.
- After the entire fingerprint animation turns red, it will inform that Touch ID was successfully set up, and this finger can now be used for unlocking your iPhone. Tap on Continue.
That’s it, your fingerprint has now been added. You can follow the same process to add up to 5 fingerprints.
How to use Touch ID
Now lock your iPhone by pressing the Sleep/Wake button, and place the finger that you just added on the Home button. It should unlock your iPhone.
If you want to approve purchases on iTunes Store, the App Store and the iBooks Store using the fingerprint then tap on the toggle for iTunes & App Store to enable it. A number of third-party apps like 1Password have also added support for Touch ID, so you can protect them using Touch ID, and unlock them by placing your finger on the Home button.