I’ll be honest; any woman who tells you she hates surprises is either lying or she’s talking about the kind where she walked in on her ex with another woman. But mostly, she’s lying. Surprises and women go hand-in-hand. So, come Valentine’s Day, we’re always secretly hoping that you’ve got a huge surprise up your sleeves for us. It doesn’t necessarily have to be you proposing, especially if we just started dating (you creep!); but something that practically spells out the word Love!
But how do you go about planning the perfect surprise for us when, a) You don’t know where to start; b) You don’t want to go overboard, c) You don’t want to end up broke after the surprise is over, d) You don’t have a lot of time. Seems legit, no? Don’t worry. Here’s a step-by-step guide on how to plan the perfect surprise for your girl on Valentine’s Day, as advised by a girl (because who better, right?).
It’s so simple, it could surprise you!
1. Prepare a small scrapbook on her, the two of you and all the time you’ve spent together. Use her favourite colours to decorate the book.
2. Make a mixed tape or a playlist of all her and your favourite love songs because you’re going to need both these later that evening. There is still time, guys.
3. Act clueless. Chances are she is bringing up Valentine’s Day a lot these days. A lot. So the next time she brings it up, act like you don’t know what’s on Tuesday. Then, as soon as the clock strikes 12 am, call her, or if you’re living together, then stop whatever it is that you’re doing, and wish her. Go on and be her Cinderella Man! *heart eyes*
4. Start the day by leaving little ‘Post-It’ notes for her at all the places in the house that you know she is going to stop by during the day. Start with one on the alarm clock, so it’s the first thing she sees as soon as she wakes up. Don’t forget to mention where the next note is waiting for her. Make it like a mini treasure hunt and watch her eyes light up every time she finds one. If you live separately, call her to wake her up and send her cute messages to take her through the day.
5. Send her little things all through the day. Now, these don’t need to be elaborate or expensive gifts. They could be random things that she just loves. For instance, a box of her favourite chocolates, or candy; colourful stationary, her favourite burger or pizza for lunch, a lipstick, nail paint, a perfume, a book she’s been looking to buy, her favourite poem, or one you penned yourself (never mind how silly it sounds)—you get the point. Just get her gushing throughout the day.
6. Top this off with a small love letter that expresses how you truly feel about her and when you’re around her. It doesn’t have to be perfectly worded or well-punctuated (although that would be great, thank you very much). It just has to be heartfelt and honest. Insert a footnote at the end telling her to look forward to the night. But don’t divulge any further details. It’s a covert operation, matey!
7. The next thing you need to do is send her a beautifully wrapped parcel which contains all of the things that you want her to wear for your surprise date later that night—right from the lingerie to the perfume. Add a note telling her why you chose those particular items. It could be anything from a dress she wore to your first date together, or a colour that you really love on her. If you live together, you get to see her level of curiosity peek and turn her on, at the same time. Which brings me to the next point…