This is the collection of most expensive painting or the highest known prices ever paid for painting. The earliest sale on the list (Vase with Fifteen Sunflowers by Vincent van Gogh) is from 1987, and more than trebled the previous record price, set only two years before, introducing a new era in top picture prices. The sale was also significant in that for the first time a “modern” painting (in this case from 1888) became the record holder, as opposed to the old master painting which had always previously held it. Since at that time sales of the most valuable painting have usually been made at the auctions, though that had by no means been the case before, and the list below still shows some “private sales”, including the three most expensive. The current record price was paid for a work from 1948 by Jackson Pollock, and there are only three old master painting in the collection below. The world’s most famous painting, especially old master works done before 1800, are generally owned by museums, which very rarely sell them, and as such, they are quite literally priceless. Guinness World Records lists the Mona Lisa as having the highest insurance value for a painting in history. It was assessed at US$100 million on December 14, 1962, before the painting toured the United States for several months. However, the Louvre chose to spend the money that would have been spent on the insurance premium on security instead. Taking inflation into account, the 1962 value would be approximately US$670 million in 2006.
This list is ordered by consumer price index inflation-adjusted value in millions of 2009 United States dollars. Where necessary, the price is first converted to dollars using the exchange rate at the time the painting was sold. The inflation adjustment may change as recent inflation rates are often revised. A list in another currency would probably be in a slightly different order due to exchange rate fluctuations. painting are only listed once, i.e. for the highest price sold. Enjoy the Collection of Most Expensive Paintings
30. Peasant Woman Against a Background of Wheat
29. Woman sitting in a garden
28. The Dream
27. Police Gazette
26. Woman with Crossed Arms
25. Acrobat and Young Harlequin
24. Au Lapin Agile
22. Green Car Crash (Green Burning Car I)
21. Vase with Fifteen Sunflowers
Adjusted price: $74.5 Million | Original price: $39.7 Million
This painting was painted by Vincent van Gogh in 1888. Daughter-in-law of Chester Beatty sold this painting to Yasuo Goto, Yasuda Comp. in 1987.
20. White Center (Yellow, Pink and Lavender on Rose)
19. Curtain, Jug and Fruit Bowl
18. Water Lily Pond – Most expensive painting
17. Self Portrait of Picasso
16. A Wheatfield with Cypresses
15. False Start – Most expensive painting
14. The marriage of Pierrette
13. Triptych, 1976 – Most expensive painting
12. Massacre of the Innocents
11. Portrait of Adele Bloch Bauer II
10. Portrait of vincent van gogh
Adjusted price: $93.5 Million | Original price: $71.5 Million
These self potraits were made by Vincent van Gogh. The first self-portrait by Van Gogh that survived, is dated 1886. These were sold by heirs of Jacques Koerfer in 1998.
9. Portrait of Joseph Roulin
Adjusted price: $99.7+ Million | Original price: $58+ Million
This painting was painted by Vincent van Gogh in 1889. A Swiss private Collection sold this painting to Museum of Modern Art New York in 1989.
8. Dora Maar with Cat – Most expensive painting
7. Irises – Most expensive painting
6. Boy with a Pipe – Most expensive painting
5. Dance at Le Moulin de la Galette
4. Portrait of Dr. Gachet – Most expensive painting
3. Portrait of Adele Bloch-Bauer I
2. Woman III –
1. No. 5, 1948, painted by Jackson Pollock
Adjusted price: $148.1 Million | Original price: $140 Million
Most expensive painting around the world
This painting was painted by Jackson Pollock in 1948. David Geffen sold this painting to David Martinez in 2006.