Whether we accept if or not, our parents are ultra cool. And not because they didn’t mind us partying till 4 in the morning or wearing those ultra short shorts (note heavy sarcasm here), but because they had their own ways when it came to teaching us big lessons in life. The “Ghee seedhi ungli se na nikle to” proverb was never a problem with them:
1. If you don’t study you’ll have to clean toilets
Bachelor me: Mom please, that toilet is cleaner than my life now
2. She got married at 18, we’ll have to do the same with you
Dad? You’d agree with child marriage? :O
3. We won’t let you stay in this house once you’re old enough. You have to buy your own place
No worries ma, I’ll stay at my girlfriend’s place
*Mom throws slippers*
4.”Kahin muh dikhane ke layak nahi rakha”
Hence the burqa thing mom. Duh!
5. What will we tell our relatives
That my son/daughter is creatively and intellectually above all you peasants
6. We’ll send you to boarding school
Me while watching Student Of The Year: “Sure mom”.
*drools over Siddharth Malhotra*
7. And then the classic “4 log kya kahenge”
Only 4 people talk about me? Am I that unpopular?
8. Your life will be nothing if you don’t study
Yeah mom, tell that to Dhirubhai Ambani.
9. “Laptop se padhai nai hoti hai”
DAD WAKE UP! WAKE UP DAD. WE’RE. NOT. IN. THE. 50s. ANYMORE.
10. You only have to work hard for now and then you can relax for your whole life
This was a lie. A DOWNRIGHT LIE.