Fuller’s earth, also known as Multani mitti and Gopi chandan in India has been used for centuries as a beauty and cleansing product. The name ‘fuller’ might be a derivative of the word ‘fulling’ wool or cleaning wool by textile workers called ‘fullers’. It naturally occurs in sedimentary clay and is composed of alumina, silica, iron oxides and water in variable proportions. Its history dates back to ancient roman civilization where it was used to bleach sheep fur; apart from being used for laundry as a cleaning agent and other cosmetic purposes.
If you have oily skin, then fuller’s earth is your best friend as it is very well known to have oil-absorbing properties.
Benefit of Fuller’s Earth for Skin:
.Cleanses skin: Helps get rid of excess oil, dirt and dead cells caused by pollution.
.Rich in aluminium silicate: Acts as a natural oil absorbent that leaves skin fresh and radiant.
.Has high lime content: It kills harmful bacteria that causes excess oil and dirt accumulation.
.Reduces inflammation: It has a cooling and soothing effect which is good for people suffering from sunburn or acne.
.Has anti-aging properties: Helps tighten skin, reducing the appearance of wrinkles and lines.
.Rich in Magnesium Chloride: Useful in reducing acne and blemishes.
.Absorbs oil: If you have oily skin, then fuller’s earth is your best friend as it is very well known to have oil-absorbing properties. If you have dry or combination skin, you can still use fuller’s earth but you must add hydrating substances like curd, milk or ghee to it.
Face Packs Using Fuller’s Earth:
1. For Oily Skin: Mix equal amounts of fuller’s earth with rose water and apply to the skin for 10-15 minutes or until completely dry. Wash off with cold water. This face pack helps in refreshing the skin by balancing the skin’s natural pH levels.
2. Almond mask: Add 1 tsp of powdered almonds (for exfoliation) or almond paste (for face pack) with 2 tsp of raw milk and mix with 3 tsp of fuller’s earth to form a paste. Apply on face and leave it one for 10-20 minutes and wipe off with a cotton ball soaked in ice water.
3. Sandalwood mask: Take 2 tsp of fuller’s earth, 1 tsp of fresh tomato juice, ½ tsp of turmeric powderand 1 tsp of sandalwood powder to make a smooth paste. Keep the paste on for 10 minutes before rinsing off with Luke-warm water.
4. Glow-Tomato mask: Mix 1 tsp of raw honey, 1 tsp of lemon juice, 2 tsp of yogurt, 1 tsp of tomato juice and 3 tsp of fuller’s earth to form a paste. Apply on to the face for 10 minutes before washing it off. Do this once a week to revive dull-looking skin.
5. Mint mask: Mix 5 tsp of fuller’s earth, paste of 3-4 mint leaves and yogurt. Apply this paste on dark areas for 20 minutes before rinsing it with Luke-warm water.
6. Egg-white mask: Add 1/4th tbsp of fuller’s earth to 1 tbsp of yogurt and 1 beaten egg white. Leave this paste on for 20 minutes before rinsing it off with cold water. This is good to achieve an even skin tone.
7. Carrot clear skin mask: Mix 2 tsp of fuller’s earth with 2 tsp of carrot pulp and 1 tsp of virgin olive oil. Apply this paste on your skin and leave it on for 15 minutes before washing it off with warm water. This mask is good for pigmented skin.
8. Coconut de-tan mask: Mix 2 tsp of fuller’s earth with 2 tsp of coconut water or coconut milk. This paste is good for de-tanning. (You can add brown sugar to this paste if you want some exfoliation to use as a regular scrub and not a de-tanning mask). Keep it on for 15 minutes before washing it off with cold water (de-tanning) or warm water (exfoliation)