The annual World Wide Developers Conference (WWDC) 2016 kicked off last night and Apple has already raised the excitement and expectation level for its users and developers alike with the major keynote announcements done last night. With the tenth version of the iOS being touted as the biggest release yet, here are some of the major updates that will enhance the Apple using experience for all Apple users:
1. The lock screen has been revamped with active notifications. Now simply picking up your phone will activate it and you will be able to get notifications displayed on your screen. The 3D touch will allow you to view the content of the running app, for instance, you will be able to view the sender of any new mails that you receive without opening the mail app.
2. Apple music will now instantly open your library so you can hit ‘play’ on any song on your playlist. It will also have a download section and even show you song lyrics on demand. Another addition to the Apple music app is the ‘For You’ section, which will suggest music playlists according to your music tastes. The ‘browse’ section will allow you to search music and artists with more ease. The new changes majorly might look similar to any Spotify user, which is definitely a competition for Apple music.
3. The messaging app will change the messaging game. The messenger app will now be able to predict emojis while typing, and emojis will be three times larger in size. You will be able to share video links which will open in the app itself, and the coolest part is that you will be able to type messages in your own handwriting.
4. Apple maps will be more functional. It will be able to read your calendar and notify you about which route to take and when to leave. Since Apple maps will be open for developers, thus allowing creating extensions, this means that you will be able to book cab rides and confirm restaurant reservations without exiting the app.
5. The photos app will be equipped with better facial recognition ability and a new ‘memories’ tab will be added which will intuitively categorise your images and display them in a symmetrical layout for your viewing. In addition to this, the photos app will also be able to generate short videos of these ‘memories’.
6. The smart keyboard will now get smarter and enable multilingual typing and with some help from Siri, ease typing for you with predictive typing.
7. The name for Apple’s desktop operating system has been changed from osX to macOS whose next generation will be called ‘Sierra’ and it will finally arrive with Siri on the desktop.
8. The enhanced homekit framework in iOS 10 will now have a ‘Home’ app which will show you all your connected devices and allow you to have control over them through the app. It will be accessible via the Apple watch as well.
9. The upcoming watch OS 3 update will have the watch loading apps seven times faster than the original speed. You will be able to reply to messages by simply scribbling letters on the watch directly. You will also be able to share activities with other friends to compare workouts.