When I was growing up, my mom’s friend Dotty used to make homemade lollipops for Christmas gifts. They were amazing! She used homemade lollipop syrup and old-fashioned candy molds.
I wanted to make a similar memory for my children, but with a convenient twist. So I made these Grinch Lollipops for my daughter to give as holiday gifts to her friends. They all love a good lollipop and these don’t have any nuts or major allergens so I figured they’d be great. Best of all, they are made by melting hard candy and are SO SIMPLE!
Here’s how you do it:
Gather your ingredients and supplies. Then line up the candy on a parchment-lined baking sheet, and place in the oven.
Once they’ve melted, spray heart-shaped cookie cutters with cooking spray and press them into the warm melted candy. Let them sit for 5-6 minutes.
Then, remove the cookie cutters and carefully peel the hearts off the parchment.
Repeat the melting process with the green candy. Make a circular mark in the green melted candy with a cookie cutter and then remove it. Then, press the cooled hearts into the melted green candy, and insert lollipop sticks to the bottom.
Once the candy has cooled carefully pull the whole lollipop off the parchment and enjoy!
Cover each with a plastic bag and add a ribbon. Now, your gifts are ready — proving you’re NOT a holiday Grinch!
adapted from Sugartown Sweets
- 24 red hard candies (like Jolly Ranchers)
- 36 green hard candies (like Jolly Ranchers)
- Supplies: Cooking spray, 3-4 heart-shaped cookie cutters (depending on the size), 6 lollipop sticks
- Preheat oven to 300 F. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper. Place 12 red hard candies on the cookie sheet close together. I lined them up like a grid as you can see above. This way they melt evenly. Bake for 8-10 minutes, or until they’ve melted into one puddle, but aren’t bubbling. While they are melting, spray heart cookie cutters with cooking spray until they are fully covered.
- When the candy is fully melted, remove it from the oven and immediately press 3 cookie cutters into the candy and leave them there to cool. The red puddle will initially be loose and sticky, but it will firm up as it cools. After about 5 minutes the red candy will be sticky but still pliable. Remove the cookie cutters and carefully peel the hearts off the parchment. Repeat with remaining 12 red candies to make 3 more hearts.
- Reduce oven to 275 F.
- Line up 6 green hard candies in a rectangle on a cookie sheet lined with a fresh sheet of parchment paper. Warm the candy for 8-10 minutes, or until just melted but not bubbling. Remove it from the oven and use a biscuit cutter or similar sized circle cutter to make a circle. Remove the biscuit cutter immediately, it should leave an indentation that will indicate where to remove the lollipop later. Then, press a red heart into the green melted candy and insert a lollipop stick at the bottom. Allow it to cool for about 5 minutes. Then, remove the circle and pull away any extra candy. Repeat with remaining 5. Allow the lollipops to cool completely, for about 15 minutes, until completely hardened. Package as desired.