Hyundai Grand i10 is the new entry-level diesel model for the Korean manufacturer. The Grand i10 slots-in between the i10 and the i20, offering stylish looks and many segment first features. The new model is developed in India and will soon be exported to European markets. The highlight of the next-generation car is the all-new 1.1-litre diesel engine developing 70bhp and 160Nm.
Hyundai introduced the car in both petrol and diesel engine options. The tried and tested petrol engine comes from the i10 and i20 models. The 1.2-litre VTVT engine, which used to do its duty on the i10 and is still available with the bigger i20 model. The 4-cylinder engine has 16 valves and has a displacement of 1197cc. Working on full load, the engine produces a maximum of 83 bhp at 6000 rpm and maximum torque of 114 Nm at 4000 rpm. The petrol powered engine is smooth and frugal and does the job very nicely.
The diesel versions carry the newly developed second generation U2 CRDi technology. With a displacement of 1120cc, the new engine has 3-cylinder with 12 valves. The diesel mill generates a maximum of 71PS at 4000 rpm and the torque figure peaks at 161 Nm spread across a wide range of 1500-2750 rpm.
The next generation Grand i10 is powered by a 1.2-litre four-cylinder kappa petrol engine developing 80bhp and 112Nm. The same unit powers the smaller i10 hatchback and it has an ARAI efficiency of 18.9kpl. The diesel engine is all-new with displacement of 1.1-litre via three-cylinders and produce close to 71bhp and 160Nm of torque. Looking at the numbers it feels a bit underpowered but it will have decent performance owing to its light weight and has brilliant ARAI efficiency of 24kpl.
• All-rounded package in a contemporary design. Improved over the old i10 in nearly every way
• Interiors have best-in-class fit, finish & quality. Increased cabin space & boot capacity
• Fuel-efficient, practical diesel & peppy petrol. Smooth gearbox too
• Loaded with features (keyless start & go, electric folding ORVMs, rear air-con, cooled glovebox etc.)
• Comfortable ride quality and predictable handling. No bumpiness
• Hyundai’s fussfree ownership experience & excellent after-sales service
• Priced lower than chief competitor, the Maruti Swift.
The best price for Hyundai Grand i10 is